A34/M4 Junction 13 Chieveley (West Berkshire) – Bridge Refurbishment and Surface Reconstruction
Kier Highways, on behalf of Highways England, will be carrying out the following maintenance work at the Chieveley Interchange over the spring and summer 2019. We will be:
- replacing the expansion joints and waterproofing material within the M4 westbound carriageway at junction 13,
- carrying out concrete repairs to the bridge,
- resurfacing and renewing the road markings on the M4 westbound carriageway,
- removing and replacing the road surface and its foundations, and renewing the road markingsaround the entire junction 13 roundabout.We are led by the safety of road users and our workers when we plan roadworks. As this section of road is busy and we need time for materials to harden, we must close junction 13 entirely for several weekends. The weekends in question are listed below.
Significant delays are expected during these weekend closures. We advise you plan ahead of your journey and allow extra time or avoid this route if possible.
M4 Junction 13 Bridge Refurbishment
We will be closing the M4 westbound carriageway between the slip roads over five nights (between 10pm and 6am) starting on Sunday 21 April. In addition, we will then be fully closing the M4 westbound carriageway between the exit and entry slip roads at junction 13 from:
- 10pm on Friday 26 April through to 6am on Monday 29 April
- 10pm on Friday 10 May through to 6am on Monday 13 May
- 10pm on Friday 17 May through to 6am on Monday 20 May (Contingency weekend subject to change)
During these closures traffic will be diverted off the M4 via the exit slip road and sent across the junction to rejoin the M4 via the entry slip road.
Upon completion of the full weekend closures, there will be a series of ten overnight closures to reinstate the joints between the slip roads.
We will be closing the entire roundabout at the junction on the following times and dates:
- 10pm on Friday 7 June through to 6am on Monday 10 June
- 10pm on Friday 14 June through to 6am on Monday 17 June
- 10pm on Friday 21 June through to 6am on Monday 24 June
- 10pm on Friday 28 June through to 6am on Monday 1 July
- 10pm on Friday 5 July through to 6am on Monday 8 July
- 10pm on Friday 12 July through to 6am on Monday 15 July
- 10pm on Friday 26 July through to 6am on Monday 29 July (Contingency weekend subject to change)When the roundabout is closed signed diversions will be in place which primarily go via the A4 between junction 12 (Theale) and junction 14 (Shefford Woodlands).A34 traffic will need to exit at Speen then head towards Hungerford for the M4 westbound carriageway, or towards Theale for the M4 eastbound carriageway.
M4 westbound traffic wishing to access the A34 is advised to exit at junction 12 and travel west along the A4; and M4 eastbound traffic wishing to access the A34 is advised to exit and junction 14 and travel east along the A4.
Local traffic wishing to access the A34 southbound carriageway or M4 from Graces Lane (Chieveley) will be diverted along the B4009 from Hermitage to Newbury, west along the A4 to Speen then either onto the A34 or along the A4 to Hungerford, then north on the A338 to join the M4 at junction 14.
When the roundabout is closed access to the Moto Service Area and Hilton Hotel will be maintained from the A34 northbound carriageway only.
These works are subject to change if weather is bad or due to unforeseen circumstances.
Confirmed dates for these weekend closures will be advertised in advance on signs along the M4, on the Highways England website and via the media.
We apologise for any inconvenience or disruption caused during our work. If you have any questions,or if you’d like to know about our work please contact us on 0300 123 5000 or email@example.com