St Andrew’s Church
St Andrew's parish includes the villages of East Hagbourne and West Hagbourne and the hamlet of Coscote. St Andrew's provides a spiritual focus for all these communities, and also draws in many worshippers from Didcot.
Contact: Rector: The Revd Jason St John Nicolle
|Assistant Curate||Revd Louise Butler||c/o Dawn
|Benefice Office||Dawn Saunders||01235 850267|
|Churchwardens||John Allen Jones & Peter Mitchell||01235 813326 & 850719|
|Organist & Choir||Peter Mitchell||01235 850719|
|Sunday School||Jenny Balshaw||01235 815452|
|Mothers Union||Jenny Balshaw||01235 815452|
|Bell Ringers||Shirley Goss||01235 815605|
|Church Treasurer||Trevor Goss||01235 815605|
|Parish Magazine||Janet Corderoy & Joy Napper||01235 813140 & 813145|
Please visit the St. Andrews Church prayer blog here.
The Church is open every day from around 9am until about 4pm in the winter months and 5pm during the lighter months. Anyone wishing to use the Church outside these hours must contact one of the Churchwardens.
Further information about events can be found here.
Hagbourne parish church was built, or rebuilt, at the beginning of the twelfth century, and consisted then of a nave and chancel. Only a few walls remain from this time. The current tower was built in the mid-fifteenth century, and features a very unusual sanctus bell-cote, its original bell remaining in daily use. The pulpit also dates from the fifteenth century. The stained glass dates variously from the fourteenth through to the twentieth century. The octagonal stone font was added in the thirteenth century.
Services at St Andrews
Our main Sunday service is at 10.30am every week. You are warmly invited to join us for worship at St Andrew’s. On the 4th Sunday in each month, the 10.30am worship takes the form of a Family Service, with an all-age band and a talk suitable for all ages. On other Sundays, our 10.30am service is the Parish Eucharist, with hymns and music, a sermon, and Holy Communion. Coffee is available after all 10.30am services.
- 8.00 am Said Eucharist (on 2nd, 4th & 5th Sundays)
- 10.30 am Parish Eucharist or Family Eucharist on the 4th Sunday of the month
- 6.00 pm Evensong (every week)
- Wednesday 10.00 am Holy Eucharist
There may be variations to this pattern on special occasions. Services for the week ahead are always posted on the notice board in the church porch and on the calendar on the website.
Activites at St Andrews
- Bell Ringers Practice night is Tuesday from 7.30-9.00pm. Click here to go to the Hagbourne Society of Change Ringers’ website for more information.
- Parish Choir practice is on Wednesday evening from 6.30-7.30 pm.
- Music Group leads worship at the monthly Family service, on the 4th Sunday of the month
- Children’s Club – meets on the 1st Sunday in the parish room during the 10.30 am service
- CYGnets – the Benefice youth group meet on the 4th Sunday in the evening (6.00 pm for 11-13 years, and 7.30 pm for 14+ years).
- The Friends of St Andrews – organise events to help look after and maintain this historical building.
We are always pleased to have new people to help with flower arranging, church cleaning, welcoming people to services (sidesmen), baptism visitors, Parochial Church Council (PCC), Sunday teas, church fête and the popular Christmas tree festival, plus children’s activity days, occasional concerts and special events.