East Hagbourne Community Shop & Post Office
Proudly run entirely by volunteers, the not-for-profit East Hagbourne Community Shop was formed in 2003 as a useful village amenity and to help preserve our valued village Post Office. Now celebrating our 20th anniversary, we serve the community by providing essential goods and services, championing our local organisations, makers and events, and engaging with our community as a friendly and welcoming neighbourhood hub. Annual events include our popular Easter and Christmas Bakery Stalls, Coffee mornings and our Volunteer Party. We support local organisations and events including St. Andrew’s TreeFest, the Hagbourne Village Produce Show, the Scarecrow Trail, HAMS drama productions and many more through our Community Fund donations.
The Shop is located alongside Passey’s Garage
114 New Road, East Hagbourne, Oxfordshire, OX11 9LD
Follow Us: On Facebook (@easthagbourneshop)
Post Office Services
- Business and Personal banking services on most accounts (please ask), services include:
- Cash Withdrawal or Deposit on most bank cards
- Cheque Deposit for most Bank accounts
- Pay Council Tax or Utility Payments
- Top up telephony or utility cards, vouchers & keys
- Purchase multi-store gift cards
- And of course, a full range of postal services, including local collection, stamps and presentation stamp packs
Standard Business Hours (2023)
Shop: Mon 9am–5pm; Tue – Fri 9am–4pm; and Sat 9–12:30pm
PO: Mon – Sat 9am – 12:30pm + Monday afternoon only 1:15pm – 4:45pm
NEW Holiday Operating Hours (Effective 15 October 2023 – 22 December 2023)
Shop: Mon & Thu 9am–5pm; Tue/Wed/Fri 9am–4pm; and Sat 9–12:30pm
PO: Mon – Sat 9am – 12:30pm + Mon & Thu afternoons 1pm – 4:30pm
Our Volunteer Team
The establishment and staffing of the Shop has been an entirely volunteer effort, with many local people contributing their time, energy and experience to making this venture a success. New volunteers are always welcome as are DoE volunteers aged 14 and over. Many of our wonderful team contribute an hour or two each month in the Shop – there’s no obligation to help each week or on a regular basis. We even have volunteers who help only during school term – and some who help only during school holidays.
In addition to the Shop till, we are seeking a variety of talented volunteers to help run or support different aspects of the Shop. Other volunteer opportunities include our weekly Baking circle; or helping with our Saturday bakery set up, IT support, rota scheduling, events staffing, Shop promotion and stock purchasing; or even joining our Operating Committee, if you are able to commit a bit more time and effort to helping our Shop survive and thrive for the next 20 years.
Please contact Alice Smith at email@example.com or inquire at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about how you can help!
Shop Goods & Services
Your friendly neighbourhood convenience store, we stock a broad range of essential pantry, household and toiletry goods as well as fresh milk, high quality fresh-frozen fish, locally made frozen pies, pizzas, and dairy products.
- Local Goods. We proudly stock local eggs, local honey, locally homemade marmalade and local artisanal chocolates and fudge.
- Classic Treats. Fuel your adventures (or just your daily walk) with our chilled drinks, frozen treats, ice pops, crisps, snacks and classic pick-and-mix sweets
- Thursday Cakes. Each Thursday our baking volunteers whip up luscious homemade cakes – and they go quickly!
- Saturday Bakery. Each Saturday, we stock artisanal breads, savouries and pastries by Marcopolo Bakery. Pre-order by 4pm each Wednesday in the Shop or by email to email@example.com for pick-up the following Saturday morning. Or take your chances, and make your choice in the Shop!
Marco Polo Price List jan 2023 For information on potential allergens, please ask to see the full details by product in the Shop, or contact us about specific items at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fresh Local Produce. We often feature fresh produce donated by local gardeners with overflowing allotments – rhubarb, gooseberries, currants, courgettes and apples are favourites as are the Christmas wreaths!
- Local Artists & Authors. The Community Shop is an avid champion of local makers. We’re proud to offer local artist-designed post cards, greeting cards, Christmas cards, framed art and books by local authors. We stock a useful selection of stationery items, everyday greeting cards, gift wrap and community-donated gently used books.
- Unique Local Gifts. Celebrate your local village! We feature East Hagbourne Community Shop gifts including fresh East Hagbourne Village tea towels; re-useable jute shopping bags with our logo in blue or black; and – coming soon – the next edition of our own Shop mugs. We also carry the East Hagbourne Welcome Pack – a boon for newcomers.
- Dry Cleaning Services. Our friendly dry cleaning service is both quick & economical – they’ll even do repairs. Drop off in the Shop; and pick up the following week.
East Hagbourne Community Shop 20th Anniversary:
- Shop History: Shop History 20th Anniversary_First Story_J Smith 16Mar2023
- Volunteer Memories: 20th Anniversary Volunteer Memories
East Hagbourne Community Shop 2023 Annual General Meeting Reports:
EHCS Community Fund:
As a not-for-profit organisation committed to serving and supporting our local community, East Hagbourne Community Shop created the Fund in 2020 to give back to our community by donating our limited profits to fund awards in support of local charitable projects and institutions benefiting our neighborhood – all nominated by our Volunteers and voted by our customers. Subject to review and availability of sufficient funding, we were pleased to be able to offer the Fund again in 2021 and 2022; and hope to continue our support as and when our financial situation permits.
Groups and Projects supported by the EHCS Fund include:
- Asylum Welcome, Oxfordshire
- Didcot Community Kitchen
- Didcot Emergency Food Bank
- Hagbournes/Upton Sustainability Group (HUGS) + Worldwide Owl Trust
- Friends of St. Andrew’s – Restoration Fund
- Multiple Sclerosis Oxfordshire Therapy Centre
- Play2Give, Oxfordshire
- SOFEA- Didcot Food Pantry and Youth Employability Scheme
- Style Acre, Blewbury – Tea Room Covid Pavilion Furnishings & T2 projects